About Our Firm

My photo
Founded in 1997 we are experienced and knowledgeable Tampa attorneys practicing exclusively in Divorce, Family, Stepparent/Relative Adoption, Criminal Defense, and Personal Bankruptcy. We practice primarily in the cities of Tampa, Riverview, Brandon, Valrico, Lithia, Carrollwood, Northdale, North Tampa, Plant City as well as Hillsborough County, Pinellas County and Pasco County. We have offices conveniently located throughout Tampa Bay. Our lawyers have extensive experience practicing in contested and uncontested divorces, including military divorces, and family law, child support, child custody and visitation, relocation of children, alimony, domestic violence, distribution of assets and debts, retirement/pensions (military and private), enforcement and modification of final judgments, paternity actions, adoptions and name changes as well as criminal defense. We offer a free consultation to discuss your options. Please call us at 813-672-1900 or email us at info@familymaritallaw.com to schedule a consultation. Our representation of our clients reflects our dedication to them. We look forwarding to hearing from you! Se habla EspaƱol.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Modification of Child Support in Florida

If you are paying or receiving child support, then it is important for you to know that if you or the other parent has a substantial change in circumstances, you must file a Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support immediately upon the change. This applies to those who are residing in and out of Florida and have a Final Judgment or subsequent Order in Florida to pay child support. The reason for this is because any change in the payment will be retroactive to the date filed. So your child support will continue as it is currently ordered until the date a Supplemental Petition is filed regardless of the change in circumstances. You will, however, have to continue to pay the prior court ordered child support until an order has been entered modifying it, if any. The modified order will take into consideration that you have paid more or received less than the change of circumstances would warrant under the guidelines from the date the Supplemental Petition was filed to the date the order is entered.

In general, factors for modification of child support if you are the payee are as follows:

1. Your income has decreased or you have lost your job since the original order was entered. The decrease in pay or loss of job must be involuntary, so voluntarily reducing your income and changing jobs would not qualify. The Florida Child Support Guidelines in the Florida Statutes, Section 61.30 (1)(b), states that"... it may provide the basis for proving a substantial change in circumstances upon which a modification of an existing order may be granted. However, the difference between the existing monthly obligation and the amount provided for under the guidelines shall be at least 15 percent or $50, whichever amount is greater, before the court may find that the guidelines provide a substantial change in circumstances.”

2. The other parent's income has increased substantially so that a change in the guidelines would be at least $50 or 15 percent of the current guidelines amount. The reason for this is because each parent owes a percentage of the total child support obligation depending on his or her income. If the other parent's income goes up, then his or her percentage of the obligation goes up and yours goes down.

3. The cost of the children's health insurance was included in the child support guidelines worksheet originally and the health insurance is no longer available.

4. The cost of daycare was included in the child support guidelines worksheet originally and the child is no longer in daycare. For this reason, we normally advise that daycare be separate from the child support guidelines if agreed upon by the parents, so that a modification is not necessary.

In general, factors for modification of child support if you are the payor are as follows:

1. Your income has decreased substantially or you have lost your job and the change in the child support obligation is sufficient to warrant a modification.

2. If the other parent's income has increased substantially and sufficiently to change the child support obligation pursuant to the statute.

Go to the following link for more information if you are paying through or your income is being deducted by the Florida Department of Revenue:



Article By:  Lynette Silon-Laguna Google+

How Is Child Support Calculated In Florida?

When making decisions on child support during a divorce case, there is no one fixed number a judge will use. Instead, many different factors...