About Our Firm

My photo
Founded in 1997 we are experienced and knowledgeable Tampa attorneys practicing exclusively in Divorce, Family, Stepparent/Relative Adoption, Criminal Defense, and Personal Bankruptcy. We practice primarily in the cities of Tampa, Riverview, Brandon, Valrico, Lithia, Carrollwood, Northdale, North Tampa, Plant City as well as Hillsborough County, Pinellas County and Pasco County. We have offices conveniently located throughout Tampa Bay. Our lawyers have extensive experience practicing in contested and uncontested divorces, including military divorces, and family law, child support, child custody and visitation, relocation of children, alimony, domestic violence, distribution of assets and debts, retirement/pensions (military and private), enforcement and modification of final judgments, paternity actions, adoptions and name changes as well as criminal defense. We offer a free consultation to discuss your options. Please call us at 813-672-1900 or email us at info@familymaritallaw.com to schedule a consultation. Our representation of our clients reflects our dedication to them. We look forwarding to hearing from you! Se habla EspaƱol.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Financial Hardship and Bankruptcy: Don't use exempt from creditor assets to pay current debts.

Financial hardship can occur at anytime. No matter how secure your financial situation may presently be, you never know what the future may bring. Job security is an oxymoron. Your position may become outdated because of new technology, your position may be outsourced overseas, or the company you work for may suffer its own financial hardship and either liquidate or reorganize. If you are able to retain your position in the latter circumstance, you may receive a decrease in salary. The same applies if you are an entrepreneur and you are self-employed, which does give you somewhat more control over your destiny.  In addition, divorce can be extremely detrimental to your financial circumstances.

Once a job loss or self-employment income loss occurs, then it is very easy to start spiraling into a financial abyss. You have acquired a certain standard of living and debts to be paid, including essentials such as your rent or mortgage, car loans, food, utilities, etc. When you don’t have the funds to pay your debts then you may use your credit cards for current living expenses and payment of your essential debts, thus incurring more debt that cannot be repaid. Once you miss or are late paying a credit card payment, then you will incur late fees and if you continue to miss or are late on your payments your interest rate will increase astronomically resulting in your debt increasing exponentially, until there is no hope to pay it off.

Or instead of or in addition to using your credit cards to pay for your living expenses and debts, some debtors will take funds from assets that would be exempt in a bankruptcy and pay their essential debts such as the mortgage or rent, car loans, as well as unsecured credit card debt or other unsecured debt such as medical bills, so that they don’t fall behind. Examples of reducing exempt property to pay debts are obtaining second mortgages on homes where they reside, taking funds from retirement accounts and paying taxes and possibly penalties, or taking all or part of the cash value of a life insurance policy. Depending on your age or other cirecumstances, this can be disastrous to use funds that you need for retirement to pay current living expenses and unsecured debt.

Unfortunately, this occurs to many people who are devastated because they cannot pay their debts, although that they cannot do so most often is no fault of their own. It is important to know prior to this occurring how to protect and keep your property if you must file for bankruptcy. In short, do not use up assets that will be exempt in bankruptcy to pay your unsecured debt. Or do not pay off any secured debt which will make it a non-exempt asset. In example, do not pay off your vehicle. Either keep a loan that you have on it or get a loan on it. There has been a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Ransom v. FIA Card Services decided January 11, 2011, that in short sets the precedence that a debtor who does not make a loan or lease payment may not take the car-ownership deduction in Paragraph 23 and 24 of the means test; however, the debtor may deduct the operating expenses in 22A. This may drastically change whether you will pass the means test and be eligible for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, rather than a Chapter 13 bankruptcy,

If your credit score has been demolished by unpaid bills, you have nothing to lose by filing bankruptcy. In actuality, bankruptcy is a new beginning and if you qualify, chapter 7 will wipe out all or most of your debts and often times you will be able to obtain credit again shortly after your discharge. Most bad consumer debt will remain on your credit report for 7 years whether paid or not, while paid or unpaid judgments may remain on your credit report for 7 years or longer depending on state law. Lenders are less likely to lend to you with bad credit, then to lend to you after a bankruptcy.

Chapter 13 is available for those who do not qualify for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, although there is a 60 month plan period.  This Chapter does have benefits that are not available in a Chapter 7 such as the ability to pay arrearages for secured property loans during the plan and preventing a foreclosure or repossesion of a vehicle. 

Call us today at (813) 672-1900 to schedule a free consultation to discover your options.  Visit our website at www.familymaritallaw.com for more information. 

By: Lynette Silon-Laguna Google+

Find us on Google+

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Modification of Child Support in Florida

If you are paying or receiving child support, then it is important for you to know that if you or the other parent has a substantial change in circumstances, you must file a Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support immediately upon the change. This applies to those who are residing in and out of Florida and have a Final Judgment or subsequent Order in Florida to pay child support. The reason for this is because any change in the payment will be retroactive to the date filed. So your child support will continue as it is currently ordered until the date a Supplemental Petition is filed regardless of the change in circumstances. You will, however, have to continue to pay the prior court ordered child support until an order has been entered modifying it, if any. The modified order will take into consideration that you have paid more or received less than the change of circumstances would warrant under the guidelines from the date the Supplemental Petition was filed to the date the order is entered.

In general, factors for modification of child support if you are the payee are as follows:

1. Your income has decreased or you have lost your job since the original order was entered. The decrease in pay or loss of job must be involuntary, so voluntarily reducing your income and changing jobs would not qualify. The Florida Child Support Guidelines in the Florida Statutes, Section 61.30 (1)(b), states that"... it may provide the basis for proving a substantial change in circumstances upon which a modification of an existing order may be granted. However, the difference between the existing monthly obligation and the amount provided for under the guidelines shall be at least 15 percent or $50, whichever amount is greater, before the court may find that the guidelines provide a substantial change in circumstances.”

2. The other parent's income has increased substantially so that a change in the guidelines would be at least $50 or 15 percent of the current guidelines amount. The reason for this is because each parent owes a percentage of the total child support obligation depending on his or her income. If the other parent's income goes up, then his or her percentage of the obligation goes up and yours goes down.

3. The cost of the children's health insurance was included in the child support guidelines worksheet originally and the health insurance is no longer available.

4. The cost of daycare was included in the child support guidelines worksheet originally and the child is no longer in daycare. For this reason, we normally advise that daycare be separate from the child support guidelines if agreed upon by the parents, so that a modification is not necessary.

In general, factors for modification of child support if you are the payor are as follows:

1. Your income has decreased substantially or you have lost your job and the change in the child support obligation is sufficient to warrant a modification.

2. If the other parent's income has increased substantially and sufficiently to change the child support obligation pursuant to the statute.

Go to the following link for more information if you are paying through or your income is being deducted by the Florida Department of Revenue:



Article By:  Lynette Silon-Laguna Google+

5 Frequently Asked Questions About Divorce In Tampa

Everyone understands the basic concept of divorce. It is a legal process people must go through when they want to formally end their marriag...